src="" />

Number 30

I was up to 29 Capra and wanted to get to 30,
 so last year booked a hunt with Joe Jakab 
(Point Blank Hunts) for the hybrid ibex on 
the Greek Islands.

I was thinking I wouldn’t have to do too
much climbing and this would help as I’m 
getting a little older. The Greek authorities had
 lost their ranger for that island but said it would 
be no problem by the time the hunt rolled
 around in early November. It turned out to be 
a big problem and the hunt got cancelled a
 short time before.

Joe was able to contact Bo Morgan who had a 
Chartruese chamois hunt available and after
 delaying the hunt for one week, I was on the
 plane to Lyon, France.

Bo’s wife made amazing plane arrangements to 
get me there. I was met by Renaud Desgrees du 
Lou. His son, Com, was with him and we packed 
the car with two Jack Russell terriers and were
 off to Chambrey.

The next morning we hunted the
 Chartruese Massif with one moderate climb
 and one very steep climb to a point where we 
looked over a large area above some cliffs, but 
never saw a chamois. The walk down was
 horrendous, but the next day we had to get 
another permit and made our way to Die. This
 permit was on the Vercors Massif.

chamoisHere we glassed some very steep cliffs and
 found chamois in two places. The small town was 
delightful and the next morning we were climbing
 again, up a very well used trail. We were out
 all day and only at the end of the day did we see a 
chamois bedded on a small cliff.

The shot would have been 342 yards and
 toward a house, so we tried to get closer with a
different angle and it didn’t work. Just as we got 
to the place to try the shot, we saw another 
chamois much closer to the area we left. Next 
morning we made the same climb but saw no
 chamois, so we decided to move again.

We drove to Grenoble and settled-in to hunt 
the Vercors Massif. Com left to go south and do
 some Alpine chamois hunting with his friends.

The next morning we drove to Grasser en
 Vercors and started up a back road. I was
 hoping it would get us to the top of the mountain,
 but no luck. We walked up a very steep
 road and then a well used trail until we broke
 out in an Alpine meadow.

We made our way over to a rock outcropping 
but didn’t see any chamois. We then made our
 way over to the cliff area and slowly started back
 down, looking over each ledge.

On the last ledge we spotted two chamois
 about 100 meters straight below us, but the fog
 was coming in and out so the view was poor.

We waited for what seemed to be an hour but 
was probably five minutes until the fog cleared
 enough to see the chamois on a very narrow 
ledge. The largest was old and we decided to have
a go at a shot.

The shot was close to 90 degrees, but the
 Winchester .300 wsm did the trick. I watched
 through the scope as the bullet flattened the
 goat. But soon its left leg started moving and
 then all I saw was a black spot falling 200
 meters down the slope.

We made our way back to the car and then
 went sideways around the mountain to get the
 chamois. The chamois was at nine inches with 
decent bases.

I was elated, as the weather was getting bad
 and I probably wouldn’t have been able to hunt 
the next day, due to the fog.

We took the train to Lyon, which is a
 delightful city, then I flew back to Athens and 
on to the USA on Election Day. I voted earlier
 and was very happy when I arrived home as all
 hunters should be thankful with the results of 
the election. Thanks to Renaud, Bo and Joe for
 making this happen.–R. Douglas Yajko, M.D.

Scroll to Top